Can I raise the rent for my clients?

Christine

I am doing small renting business and now thinking about to raise prices for renting. But I'm a bit afraid that my clients can run away from me. Who knows about information about renting in the USA?

I found one interesting point of view about the cost of housing. It's raising. Together with the cost of housing growing and rent. 
"Residential real estate over very long time periods has only a slightly positive real return, adjusted for the maintenance and other required expenditures, that means the ratio of home prices to median income has tended to be fairly stable. We have historically valued homes as a consumption good only, which meant that the home price traded as a multiple of rents or incomes within a pretty narrow range. Here’s a chart of median home prices to median household income going back to the 1970s (Source: Bloomberg, Enduring Intellectual Properties calculations).

Median Existing Home Price vs Median Household Income 1975-2017Median Existing Home Price vs Median Household Income 1975-2017

This is true even though there have been important tax changes along the way which changed the value of the home as a tax shelter, changes in the structure of the typical family unit, and so on. Despite that, homes were pretty stable investments – really, they were more savings vehicles than investments.
The fact that home prices are now accelerating, and are rising faster than incomes, implies several things. First, as the last chart above shows, the ‘investment value’ of the home is again inflating to levels that, in 2005-2008, proved unsustainable. The bubble in housing isn’t as bad as it was, and not as bad as stocks are now, but the combination of those two bubbles might be worse than they were when they were mostly independent (in 2000 there wasn’t a housing bubble and in 2007 the bubble in stocks wasn’t nearly as bad as in 2000 and now).
The second implication is that as home prices rise, it isn’t just the value of the investment in the home that is rising but also its cost as a consumption item. Because shelter to rent is a substitute for shelter that you own, rising home prices trend to imply that rents also accelerate."
The full article is here 
https://www.investing.com/analysis/some-abbreviated-but-important-thoughts-on-housing-200269306

So it is the general trend to raise rents.  

Loyverse Point of Sale