Why is my receipt printer printing gibberish?

obejohn
Go to solution Solved by obejohn,

After turning my receipt printer on, it prints perfect receipts for the first order. It also lets me print multiple receipts for the first order and they are all fine. For the second and subsequent orders the receipts are gibberish. If I power cycle (off then on) the printer in it will once again print the first order perfectly, but reverts to printing garbage on all subsequent orders.

The printer is a generic thermal printer with usb, serial, ethernet and WiFi interfaces. I am currently using WiFi. The issue exists whether I use an Android tablet or my smartphone. Presumably, I need to send some sort of start up command sequence to the printer in order to intitialise it. 

Has anyone experienced this type of problem or can anyone offer a suggestion as to how I can rectify this issue?

It turns out that it was because I had Loyverse set to print in graphic rather than text mode. I initially selected graphic mode as I wanted to print our logo on the receipts. Once Loyverse was set to pint in text mode, the receipts printed ok, but didn't have our logo at the top.

In order to get the logo to print at the top of our receipts, I used a utility program that came with the receipt printer to store our logo in the printers non-volatile memory (NVRAM). Once this was done, I entered the following ESC/POS commands in the Loyverse initial ESC/POS commands field: -

1B,61,01,1C,70,01,00,0A

Broken down, these commands do the following:-

1B,61,01 - center justifies the logo on the page

1C,70,01,00 - prints the logo

OA - gives a line feed after the logo so it isn't too close to the other receipt information.

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

It seems to me my printer is 'losing its way' either because a buffer is being overloaded or because an ESC/POS command being sent in graphics mode is incompatable with the printer. My printer is a less expensive one that I purchased off eBay (see photo). One thing is for sure, when I run Loyverse in text mode and download the logo file to the printer using the utlity program that came with the printer, it works great! 😀

Thermalprinter.jpg.4318f7d477b7b0a25476e6292055b275.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have the same problem, I cannot switch to text mode because the app doesn't support Arabic language.

Can I have any tips for solving my problems?

The first receipt printing was most likely gibberish, the immediately second one comes correct, you can imagine how many papers we toss every day!

On 8/9/2019 at 7:53 AM, obejohn said:

It seems to me my printer is 'losing its way' either because a buffer is being overloaded or because an ESC/POS command being sent in graphics mode is incompatable with the printer.

• 4 months later...
On 8/9/2019 at 12:53 PM, obejohn said:

It seems to me my printer is 'losing its way' either because a buffer is being overloaded or because an ESC/POS command being sent in graphics mode is incompatable with the printer. My printer is a less expensive one that I purchased off eBay (see photo). One thing is for sure, when I run Loyverse in text mode and download the logo file to the printer using the utlity program that came with the printer, it works great! 😀

Thermalprinter.jpg.4318f7d477b7b0a25476e6292055b275.jpg

Is your printer by any chance an Xprinter? I have the same problem with you before you figured out a solution. I’m trying to scan the QR code from my android phone but it leads me to various advertisements :( i cannot find the app in Google Play :( i tried plugging in the values you indicated in your 2nd post, to no avail. The logo was moved a bit to the right, printed fine on the first run, got truncated before the bottom message appeared and didn’t automatically cut on the 2nd run, then printed a long garbled message on the 3rd run ☹️