Is there a way to discount an item's Price to its Cost

Catpants
Go to solution Solved by Shinji,

Title says it all. If I'm selling an item with a cost of $2.50 for a price of $5.00, I want to be able to occasionally sell it at cost.

You may say, "Do a 50% discount". But if I have another item that's $2.00 for a price of $5.00, a 50% discount will not work.

Is there a way? If not, it'd be a great feature. I've used it on some custom-made POS systems in the past.

• Like 1

• Solution

Hello!

One thing that we can suggest is that you can utilize the variable discounts. Variable Discounts is a feature that allows users to leave the amount field when setting up the discounts blank that way, when they enter this discount, a prompt will appear allowing them to enter the amount manually. That way, you can technically, "discount an item to its cost".

On 7/6/2021 at 9:25 AM, Shinji said:

Hello!

One thing that we can suggest is that you can utilize the variable discounts. Variable Discounts is a feature that allows users to leave the amount field when setting up the discounts blank that way, when they enter this discount, a prompt will appear allowing them to enter the amount manually. That way, you can technically, "discount an item to its cost".

I think that's the only way to do it but the problem is who ever is serving at the till would need to know the cost price of every item being discounted.

It wouldn't really work in a retail store with a few employees and many discounted items.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2021 at 11:20 AM, Roddy said:

I think that's the only way to do it but the problem is who ever is serving at the till would need to know the cost price of every item being discounted.

It wouldn't really work in a retail store with a few employees and many discounted items.

Yes, you hit the nail on the head. I've been using the variable discounts, and since I'm the owner it's not a huge issue.

But I'd like to have employees in the future, and would like to give them an employee discount. On some of my items I make 80% margin, on others I make 25%. It'd be nice to give them a Cost + 20% discount without having to bust out the calculator and ring it up myself every time.

• Like 1