What do you do in a situation where a customer walks in and tells you they cannot pay due to hard times but is really in need of a meal?

Nile

As a restaurant manager, what do you do in a situation where a customer walks in and tells you they cannot pay due to hard times but is really in need of a meal?

Let me know you would do if you found yourself in such a situation. Thank you for your reply.

Give them a meal and tell him to come back at the end of the day so he can take away the waste. Believe me, they will be grateful and will come back and help you. We have 3 homeless people who comes reguraly and they clean the street, help us pack the tables, stuff like that. And our customers sometimes buy coffee or food and ask us to give it to them. If you do good, the world around you will give it back. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

yes it is always best to show grace and offer them a meal. and i like the offer of leftovers from the end of trade as well.  Many places offer "suspended" meals or coffees (there's a worldwide movement called Suspended Coffees, google them ;-)) whereby the restaurant/cafe has a system that enables able customers to pay for their meal and that of another who may be less fortunate than them; those 'suspended' meal/drink/coffee whatever then can either go on a post-it note on a dedicated space in the cafe that when asked, is available for a needy person. There are many options out there for such benevolent options when running a cafe. We have the mind to introduce it at some stage. Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Hi, I had many situations like this in our coffee shop. I have no problem of giving a meal or a drink (not alcohol) if a person ask me for it. PPl ask for a free food only when they are in real need for it. I dont have a Suspended Coffees system but my regular customers know  that i give free food for ones in need of it, and they really freely help with out asking them. Or they leave some extra cash for it or they just ask me what was the cost of the meal and pay for it while paying their on bill. 

Loyverse Point of Sale